Re: [debian-knoppix] Some thoughts&questions about knoppix...

Hi Christian,

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 23:34:43 +0200, Christian Leber wrote:

> You can't be sure about anything with eltorinto (el toronto?) but I'm very

It's called el torito. I don't know why, though.

> sure that if booting CD works at all, 2,8 MB images will do.
> (I have never heard that 1,4 MB works and 2,8 not)

I know at least two machines where 1.44 images work okay but 2.88 images
won't work. First is the Toshiba Tecra 8000 notebook and second is a
Compaq server in a 19" case whose exact name I forgot.

> But 1720 kb floppy disks are really crap, sometimes they don't work or
> they are really slow, besides that it is not so easy to write them from
> a MS System.

That's right. For exactly this reason I use 1.44 MB size for my HAL91
floppy Linux (http://www.itm.tu-clausthal.de/~perle/hal91/)

> Or use isolinux, but there are a lot of bioses where this doesn't work.
> (kernel + initrd all as your ram can eat ;)) )

Some of those BIOSes also don't boot 2.88 images. But isolinux sure
is a nice thing if it works.

bye,
  Chris
--