Re: Request to update megaraid_sas driver in Debian

On Thu, 2019-01-17 at 10:10 +0100, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> On Thu, 2019-01-17 at 12:44 +0530, Shivasharan Srikanteshwara wrote:
> > Currently the GCA kernel in Debian 9 is based on Linux 4.9 kernel which
> > does not have inbox support for new MegaRAID Gen 3.5 controllers.
> > Is there a way to include the driver update patches that add support for
> > these controllers in the Debian 9 kernel update?
> > FWIW these patches are already present in Linus' upstream kernel tree as
> > well.
>
> Hi,
>
> the “easiest” way would be to have that updated included in a 4.9 point
> release, which would in turn be integrated in a later Debian package version.

...but this is only possible if the changes are quite small (like
adding device IDs and a small amount of extra code).

> It might be possible to include that backport (it's been done in the past) but
> it really depends on the size of that backports, the dependency on other
> subsystems in Linux and the amount of work required to keep it updated later.

Yes.

If there are substantial changes needed to support the new controllers,
then the way to get them into Debian stable will be:

1. Report a bug against the current version, with severity "important",
explaining that this hardware is not supported.  See <
https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting>.

2. Fetch the current source package, ideally from the "stretch" branch
of our git repository.  Add the necessary changes from upstream (one
patch per upstream commit) and summarise the changes in
debian/changelog.  See
<https://kernel-team.pages.debian.net/kernel-handbook/ch-common-tasks.html#s-common-official-vcs>
and the documentation for the "quilt" command.

3. Build new binary packages and run them through your QA process.

4. Send the source changes you made.  I would prefer to get these as a
merge request.  You could alternatively use "git format-patch" or
"debdiff" to generate a patch and send that to the bug report as an
attachment.

Never put off till tomorrow what you can avoid all together.