RE: [External] Re: Lenovo and Debian

<moving thread to debian-kernel list as requested - thanks Ben>

> In Debian unstable we will move to 5.3 shortly after it is released, depending on
> whether there are important regressions or integration to be resolved.
>
> Debian 10 "buster" will always have a 4.19-based kernel, but users can opt to
> install newer kernel versions from buster-backports.

As our customer wants a 5.2.9 kernel, I believe they will be using the buster-backports package for that (I'll confirm). If we want to enable the SOF driver and it's options by default are there any pointers about how I would do that? Is it just a case of pasting the CONFIG_ settings to this email thread or is something more subtle required (defconfig snippet etc)?

> > - Is there any solution available if we wanted to get the SOF fixes
> > into Debian Buster sooner. The SOF team have their own kernel but I
> > can track down commits where they pushed changes upstream etc.
>
> We're happy to take tested backports of changes that have been accepted
> upstream.
>
> That would include both:
>
> * Applying the fixes from 5.4 to our 5.3-based kernel for unstable
> * Adding the SOF driver to the 4.19-based kernel for buster

Got it - thanks. I managed to get the audio seemingly working in 5.2.9 with no driver changes needed (different firmware image) so I'm hoping (fingers crossed) I don't have to go this route but it's good to know it's available.

Thanks for all the help - I appreciate all the pointers.

Mark