Re: Trying to build both linux kernel + kernel/debian from .git

On Thu, 2016-12-22 at 15:02 +1100, Andrew Worsley wrote:
> Help appreciated on how these two .git repositories are expected to
> work together. Or just if they are not meant to.
>
> I am trying to do a git bisect to see when the hibernation bug#844788 (
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=844788 )
>
> I have checked out the mainline kernel into linux and then checked out
> https://anonscm.debian.org/git/kernel/linux.git  into
>    /build/linux/debian-linux
>
> - which apprently gives a debian directory for the kernel .
>
> I then do a symbolic link from with the mainline linux checkout to the
> debian directory check out:
>
> debian -> /build/linux/debian-linux/debian
>
> Using git tag -l to find a suitable tag and then select the kernel a
> similar tag and build the release and install it and see if it works.
>
> But this doesn't seem to work at all  so I guess is completely wrong
>
> I get errors like:
>
> fakeroot make -f debian/rules -n binary    macbook: 2:51PM
> dh_testdir
> make -f debian/rules.gen binary-indep
> make[1]: Entering directory '/build/deb-linux'
> make[1]: debian/rules.gen: No such file or directory
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'debian/rules.gen'.  Stop.
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/build/deb-linux'
> debian/rules:46: recipe for target 'binary-indep' failed
> make: *** [binary-indep] Error 2

Various files (debian/control, debian/rules.gen, etc.) are generated by
debian/bin/gencontrol.py and are not committed.

Also one of the first things in the build rules is a check that all
patches were applied - which they aren't.

> I was trying to just compile mainline kernels (no debian patches) via
>
>     make deb-pkg
>

> Kinda of getting stuck -Hitting problems where ever I turn to. Recent
> 4.9 kernels compile and run - but hibernate doesn't restore
>
> My mainline 3.18 kernel + initrd just crash without any output after
> booting from grub when building with a stretch based system (needs a
> few patches to compile them).
>
> I am suspecting the stretch based system might be causing the older
> kernels problems.

It's possible that they don't build as expected with the current
compiler and linker.

> Perhaps using containers to build them under older releases might
> fix things?

Yes, it might do.

> I am thinking I need a working serial port (not a laptop) to debug the
> restore crashes or perhaps try and reproduce things via kvm?

KVM is unlikely to reproduce the issue as it will be emulatng different
devices.

netconsole *might* help:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/netconsole.txt

Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain. - Lily
Tomlin