Trying to build both linux kernel + kernel/debian from .git

Help appreciated on how these two .git repositories are expected to
work together. Or just if they are not meant to.

I am trying to do a git bisect to see when the hibernation bug#844788 (
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=844788 )

I have checked out the mainline kernel into linux and then checked out
https://anonscm.debian.org/git/kernel/linux.git  into
   /build/linux/debian-linux

- which apprently gives a debian directory for the kernel .

I then do a symbolic link from with the mainline linux checkout to the
debian directory check out:

debian -> /build/linux/debian-linux/debian

Using git tag -l to find a suitable tag and then select the kernel a
similar tag and build the release and install it and see if it works.

But this doesn't seem to work at all  so I guess is completely wrong

I get errors like:

fakeroot make -f debian/rules -n binary    macbook: 2:51PM
dh_testdir
make -f debian/rules.gen binary-indep
make[1]: Entering directory '/build/deb-linux'
make[1]: debian/rules.gen: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'debian/rules.gen'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/build/deb-linux'
debian/rules:46: recipe for target 'binary-indep' failed
make: *** [binary-indep] Error 2

I was trying to just compile mainline kernels (no debian patches) via

    make deb-pkg

Kinda of getting stuck -Hitting problems where ever I turn to. Recent
4.9 kernels compile and run - but hibernate doesn't restore

My mainline 3.18 kernel + initrd just crash without any output after
booting from grub when building with a stretch based system (needs a
few patches to compile them).

I am suspecting the stretch based system might be causing the older
kernels problems. Perhaps using containers to build them under older
releases might fix things?

I am thinking I need a working serial port (not a laptop) to debug the
restore crashes or perhaps try and reproduce things via kvm?

No easy paths...

Andrew