Re: Kernel version for stretch

On Fri, 2016-02-05 at 18:48 +0000, Niels Thykier wrote:
> Ben Hutchings:
> > On Tue, 2016-02-02 at 07:34 +0000, Niels Thykier wrote:
[...]
> > I thought that 10 week cycles were rare, but I checked this and now I'm
> > much less confident.  Rounding to the nearest week, the distribution of
> > release cycle lengths from 3.2 to 4.4 inclusive, is:
> >
> >  8 weeks: *           ( 1)
> >  9 weeks: **********  (10)
> > 10 weeks: **********  (10)
> > 11 weeks: **          ( 2)
> >
> > (I chose this range to exclude the 3.1 release delayed by the
> > kernel.org compromise.)
> >
> > So it seems quite possible that 4.10 could be released later in January
> > or in February.
> >
> > [...]
>
> Ok, so a reasonable guess would be actually be 10 weeks, which puts us
> at the 29th of January?  An upstream stable update would come 3-4 weeks
> later.

The earlier cycles might also be 10 weeks, which adds more uncertainty.

[...]
> > >    - How long does Greg's LTS last?  We would spend at least a year of
> > >      it before January 22nd 2017.
> >
> > About 15 months.
> >
> > [...]
>
> So Greg's LTS will almost be over by the time 4.10 is released? Seems
> like we are not getting a lot from sticking with 4.4 then?

Sorry, either I mixed up maintainers there or I meant to say that we
would have 15 months *after* January 2017.  Greg typically maintains a
'longterm' branch for about 27 months:

2.6.32: 2009-12 .. 2012-03 (then transferred to Willy Tarreau)
3.0:    2011-07 .. 2013-10
3.4:    2012-05 .. 2014-08 (then transferred to Zefan Li)

So we can expect:

4.4:    2016-01 .. 2018-04

> From what I can gather so far:
>
>  * We are looking at moving the freeze at least 2 months if we want
>    Linux 4.10.
>    - At +2 months, Linux 4.10 would be just before the "deep freeze"
>      (Assuming a 10 week release cycle for Linux).
>
>  * If we stick with 4.4, the Debian Linux maintainers receives
>    practically no advantage from Greg's LTS effort.

No, we would benefit from that but this is very early to freeze the
kernel and we would need to do a lot of work on backporting hardware
support.

Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.