Re: Testing versatile kernel on Raspberry Pi?

On Mon, 2016-01-25 at 17:59 +0100, Sebastian Reichel wrote:
> Hi,

> > > The "therefor" won't happen automatically, someone will need to file
> > > wishlist bug asking for the relevant options to be enabled in the
> > > Debian
> > > kernel configuration.
> > >
> > > For the RPi's with the newer CPU cores it makes clear sense to do
> > > that in
> > > the armhf/armmp kernel flavour (since it is the "multiplatform"
> > > flavour,
> > > and the only one we want to support).
> >
> > I'll give it a try, but first have to learn about the armmp stuff.
> >
> > Here is the default kernel configuration for the RPi 2:
> > https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/blob/rpi-4.4.y/arch/arm/configs/bc
> > m2709_defconfig
> > (which does not seem part of
> > https://sources.debian.net/src/linux/4.4-1~exp1/arch/arm/configs/)
>
> The kernel from the Raspberry Pi foundation and the mainline kernel
> have different config options, so that won't be of much use. Check
> mainline's arch/arm/configs/bcm2835_defconfig instead.

Also note that the Debian kernels don't use anything from arch/*/configs.

The configuration is built from snippets (global, per arch, per flavour,
etc) under debian/configs. The armhf/armmp specific bits are
in debian/config/armhf/config.armmp and it is this I would expect to need
changes to support a new armhf platform.

When making changes it is useful to use kconfigeditor from http://anonscm.d
ebian.org/cgit/kernel/kernel-team.git/ to re-normalise the changes (just
run kernel-team.git/utils/kconfigeditor2/process.py <source dir>).

It's also likely that things will need adding under
debian/installer/armhf/modules/ in order for the platform to work in the
installer environment.

There's more info on ther Debian kernel packaging in the Debian Kernel
Handbook at https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-kernel-handbook/index
.html

Ian.