Re: Upstream source handling

On Sat, 2015-11-07 at 17:53 +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 07, 2015 at 02:16:13PM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > 7. The DFSG changes are not documented in the source package
> > 8. Each featureset is reduced to a single patch in the source package
> >
> > (7) should be easy to fix, as the history is linear, except where we
> > delete part of a file.
>
> git can generate patch files for deleted files without actually showing
> the content.

I know, that's why I said where we delete *part* of a file (using
unifdef).  However, there are currently no cases where we do that.

> >                         (8) should be easy to fix for the 'none'
> > featureset as its history will also be linear.  For any other
> > featuresets, reducing to a single patch may be unavoidable.
>
> I didn't want to enfore a linear history, but if we say it will be
> linear (and check that in a hook during push), we can also generate
> expanded patch series.

Your description of the workflow did imply the history would be linear
for the 'none' featureset.  And non-linear history gets linearised when
rebasing so it's probably not a good idea to introduce non-linearity in
any branch that we expect to rebase later.

73.46% of all statistics are made up.