Re: Upstream source handling

On Sat, 2015-11-07 at 13:48 +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
[...]
> What I like:
> 1. Rebasing is easier
> 2. I can log, diff, etc. through our changes and upstream changes
>
> What I don't like:
> 3. Pushing is more complicated
> 4. Cherry-picking is more complicated
> 5. Git working directory looks different from unpacked source package
> 6. It's not possible to see the history of one of our patches
>
> (3) and (4) definitely need to be addressed, either by documentation
> (if I'm missing some git feature or config) or by scripting.
>
> I think I can live with (5) and (6).  For (6), maybe we should start
> putting Change-Ids in our changes so that it would be possible to find
> all versions using 'git log --tags=debian --grep=...'

A couple more things I don't like:
7. The DFSG changes are not documented in the source package
8. Each featureset is reduced to a single patch in the source package

(7) should be easy to fix, as the history is linear, except where we
delete part of a file.  (8) should be easy to fix for the 'none'
featureset as its history will also be linear.  For any other
featuresets, reducing to a single patch may be unavoidable.

Unix is many things to many people,
but it's never been everything to anybody