Re: Kernel Images for Xenomai

Hi,

first of all please CC to me because I'm not in the kernel list. I saw the
message in the web interface.

> > So, what about to create a linux-image package, with a kernel packaged
> > with xenomai?
>
> All kernel featuresets should be temporary, with the project aiming to
> get their changes merged upstream.
> http://www.xenomai.org/index.php/Xenomai:Roadmap doesn't say anything
> about doing that, and if that isn't planned then I will reject this
> proposal.

well, Gilles could answer better than me, but Xenomai works with the adeos
patch and the linux kernel is just another task. I don't know if it could be
mixed, they are two different things. One is an kernel with the scheduler
modified to try to do realtime features and another is an subkernel on Linux
kernel run as a task.

Another thing is if they will converge with the PREEMP_RT patches from Ingo
Molnar and Co.

> We already provide realtime kernel images using the PREEMPT_RT patch
> series.  Two types of realtime kernel would be an extravagance.

One is a "Soft" realtime and another "Hard" realtime. Although in my area
(robotics), the 95% of the applications could be perfect with the PREEMPT_RT
version, there's another areas that could be benefit this option, so IMHO it's
not an extravagance. I can say more, if Debian could have a group of packages
that work on a hard realtime subset, specially on ARM, it would be a good plus
to the project; better, we are towards the "world domination" ;-)

> But as
> Xenomai apparently runs on top of PREEMPT_RT now, that might not be a
> problem.

I don't think so. I don't apply the PREEMPT_RT patch to use Xenomai. Gilles,
I'm right?

> > I ask it to the debian kernel maintainers with the lack of knowledge that
> > what it implies, because for example:
> >
> > - xenomai doesn't work in all architectures than debian.
>
> That doesn't matter.

Ok

> > - it has patches for previous versions of the linux provided by debian.
>
> There is only one version of Linux in each suite, and this is not likely
> to change.  So if Xenomai doesn't keep up with upstream development then
> it would have to be disabled at times.  (We currently do this with the
> 'rt' featureset on odd-numbered Linux versions.)

Ok, Gilles, would be possible to be sync and have a Adeos patch for the stable
version included in debian?

> > - who maintain it?
> >
> > However, I think that we can have interested people to work on that, and
> > could be affordable.
>
> There needs to be a nominated maintainer for each featureset.  (In
> practice I've been looking after the 'rt' featureset, but I'm not
> offering to do that for anything else.)  The maintainer will need to be
> ready to resolve patch (and semantic) conflicts whenever the Linux
> upstream version is updated, including stable updates.

Well, Roland have done a good job with the xenomai package, and AFAIK some
xenomai upstream and debian user, and I can help for this of course.

Regards,

Leopold

Linux User 152692
Catalonia