Re: Processed: reassign 669342 to dracut

Hello Ben, Hello Thomas,

On Mon, 04 Jun 2012, Ben Hutchings wrote:

> On Mon, 2012-06-04 at 20:57 +0000, Debian Bug Tracking System wrote:
> > Processing commands for control@bugs.debian.org:
> >
> > > # conflicting is wrong
> > > reassign 669342 dracut
>
> Why is it wrong?  They both have to use the same filenames (for
> compatibility with boot loaders) and they must therefore conflict.
>
> If you want to make them non-conflicting then we need a policy that
> defines how boot loaders must find initrds made by different tools and
> what they are supposed to do when they find more than one for the same
> kernel version.  I just don't see the point though.

one could easily install in the days yaird and initramfs-tools.
It invovled a stupid entry in /etc/kernel-img.conf.

I think it should be very easy to come up with an update-alternatives
solution, that prioritises the default. (Not Wheezy target but post
release). If you want to try out an initramfs generator you don't
know if it will boot, one shouldn't nuke the known working one.

cheers

--
maks