Re: Packaging hpsa driver in debian

On Thu, 2012-01-26 at 03:15 +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-01-25 at 19:03 -0600, lblyth@beardog.cce.hp.com wrote:
> > Debian Kernel Team,
> >
> > My name is Logan Blyth, I work in the Linux smart array storage driver
> > group at HP. I am trying to update the version of the hpsa driver in
> > the package repos, and if possible create a file that will allow it to
> > be installed alongside Debian(similar to a redhat dud (.dd) file) if
> > possible. I would also like to help you in the ongoing maintenance of
> > the driver, if you'll have me.
> I'm not sure we have a mechanism similar to driver disks; you'll need to
> ask the installer team (debian-boot@lists.debian.org) about that.
> Are you trying to add new hardware support or only fix bugs?

In any case, all changes to a stable release need to be justified by a
bug report, so please open a bug covering this:
<http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting>.  The package name will be
'src:linux-2.6'.  Missing hardware support has severity 'important'.

Ben Hutchings
Horngren's Observation:
                   Among economists, the real world is often a special case.