Re: Packaging hpsa driver in debian

On Wed, 2012-01-25 at 19:03 -0600, lblyth@beardog.cce.hp.com wrote:
> Debian Kernel Team,
>
> My name is Logan Blyth, I work in the Linux smart array storage driver
> group at HP. I am trying to update the version of the hpsa driver in
> the package repos, and if possible create a file that will allow it to
> be installed alongside Debian(similar to a redhat dud (.dd) file) if
> possible. I would also like to help you in the ongoing maintenance of
> the driver, if you'll have me.

I'm not sure we have a mechanism similar to driver disks; you'll need to
ask the installer team (debian-boot@lists.debian.org) about that.

Are you trying to add new hardware support or only fix bugs?

> I realize that you are very busy so I would like to do this in a way
> that minimizes the effort on your part :), however I am new to
> building and packaging in general. I have read some (soon to be all)
> of the new maintainer guidlines and the debian policy manual and feel
> that I am ready to begin. Based on what I have said here if you feel
> otherwise please let me know what I can do to become better prepared.
>
> I have downloaded the source package of headers, and am following
> chapter 3 of the maintainers guide.

I'm unclear which package and guide you are referring to.

> I realized that the driver is only a series of patchs,not a file like
> in the ch 3 example. Given that a single patch is supposed to fix only
> 1 specific thing, I am hesitant to just create a patch that would
> amount to ~1 year of updates. I can attempt this but it is against my
> better judgement. How should I proceed?

Normally each patch applied in our package will correspond to a single
commit in mainline Linux.

You may find it easier to work with a git branch rather than a patch
series:
1. Clone the repository shown at
<http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=kernel/linux-2.6.git>.
2. Check out the 'squeeze' branch, which mirrors the current state of
the package in stable.  (Warning: this branch is sometimes rebased.)
3. Cherry-pick and adjust patches from mainline Linux onto this branch.
Please include the original commit hashes in the new commit messages.
4. Use 'git format-patch' to generate patches for inclusion in the
package.

> I am under a bit of a time crunch and am willing to put in the time
> and effort to do this the right way so that mainting this is easier
> for everyone

Thanks.

Ben.

--