Re: e1000e update for Debian 6.0 'squeeze'

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 07:47:54AM -0700, Will Set wrote:
[...]
> Hi Jeff,
> I think the main idea here is to get a test of the e1000e driver, to see if it works on the hardware,
> before the updates for Debian stable are released, in 3 months or so.

Actually this will happen in about a month (the exact timetable is
not set yet).

> It seems that there has been no response from anyone that has the new intel e1000e gigabit nic yet to verify Ben's work on the driver.

There has been *some* response from users.  I briefly tested on my
own laptop which uses e1000e for the LAN port.

> Any, testing of hardware using the e1000e driver found http://people.debian.org/~benh/packages/ ; here
> or development documentation intel is willing to provide for e1000e  and/or other "newer released" intel hardware ie: igb
> would help Debian speed it's release of updates to the Debian Stable Release in 3 months or so.

So far as I'm aware, there is already good hardware documentation, but
I'm not interested in it.  My concern is with the interaction between
the driver and the network stack, which has changed a bit since Linux
2.6.32.  Since I maintain a network driver myself, I believe I under-
stand the changes pretty well and have correctly adjusted the driver
code, but I am not certain.

I posted a general request for testing and some suggested tests for
network drivers here:

http://womble.decadent.org.uk/blog/testing-new-hardware-support-for-debian-602.html

                                                              - Albert Camus