Re: e1000e update for Debian 6.0 'squeeze'

On Fri, 2011-06-03 at 04:16 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-05-19 at 15:29 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > The Debian kernel team regularly backports driver updates to the Linux
> > kernel in stable releases to add support for new hardware.  In the
> > current stable release, the Linux kernel is based on longterm series
> > 2.6.32.y.
> >
> > We generally prefer to cherry-pick bug fixes and new hardware support,
> > but there are so many interrelated changes to e1000e since 2.6.32 that
> > this seems to be impossible.  So I've prepared a backport of e1000e from
> > Linux 2.6.38, which is available in the git branch:
> >
> >     git://git.debian.org/kernel/linux-2.6.git e1000e-test
> >
> > The kernel configuration files we use are at
> > <http://kernel.alioth.debian.org/config/2.6.32-33/>.
> >
> > We would appreciate any help Intel can provide in testing this, and any
> > advice on changes that should be added or reverted.
> >
> > I'll also be looking at doing this for igb later.
>
> Full source and binary packages containing e1000e, igb, and other
> backported drivers can now be found at:
>
>     http://people.debian.org/~benh/packages/
>
> I have not yet received any testing feedback, and without that we will
> have to defer any updates to Debian 6.0.3 (about another 3 months away).

Unfortunately that's exactly what happened.  But let's try this again.
I updated igb and igbvf to 3.0 as there seemed to be significant
additions in hardware support.  e1000e is still at 2.6.38 with one later
fix.

The backports of e1000e, igb and igbvf are available in the git branch:

    git://git.debian.org/kernel/linux-2.6.git squeeze

The changes start after tag debian/2.6.32-35squeeze1.

The kernel configuration files we use are at
<http://kernel.alioth.debian.org/config/2.6.32-33/>.

Full source and binary packages containing these and other backported
drivers can now be found at:

    http://people.debian.org/~benh/packages/

We would appreciate any help you can provide in testing this, and any
advice on changes that should be added or reverted.