Re: New maintainer for ARM

Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com> writes:

Hi,

> Here are some outstanding bugs/tasks regarding the ARM kernels:
>
> #604013 base: "ls -al" on armel inside loopback mounted ISO image failes with -1 ENOMEM
> Nobody has been able to reproduce and the submitter doesn't respond.
> Maybe ping the submitter again, close if no reply.

I remember trying to reproduce it at the time the bug was opened and
never managed to reproduce it.

> #622325 linux-image-2.6.38-2-orion5x: Problem With I2C
> Forward upstream, bisect.

I've a mips board with a m41t80 but can't use it atm so I've looked at
the code and there's no obvious troubles with the driver. In 2.6.38 and
newer kernels, there has been a bunch of rtc breakages. See the number
of crash fixes in [1]. I've made a kernel for dns323 with small changes
in order to help debugging. I plan to ping some bug reporter in order to
make him test it as I can't test it myself. I hope it'll help and
at least confirm it's really a rtc bug.

> #614593 Please add new armel kernel flavour for the Marvell DB-78x00-BP Development Board
> I still believe this is a bad idea since it will make kernel builds
> slower for very little gain (there are no users of this board outside
> of our buildd infrastructure).  A similar problem exists on MIPS and I
> think Ben wanted to look into the possibility of adding configs
> without enabling them by default but providing an easy way to compile
> the image.

I can't comment on that one but at least, the solution of adding support
but not enabling it by default may be a solution.

> squashfs: #613658  There are some options that may have to be selected
> on ARM.

hmm... I didn't notice this bug. The ARM options are enabled by default
like the other options. I don't know if it can have some side effects at
run time. I guess it should be fine otherwise some Kconfig patching will
be needed (I'm thinking of the ARMTHUMB decoder option)

> Also: look through open bugs to see if there are other ARM related
> issues.

[1] http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/rtc-linux/list/

Arnaud