Re: ipheth

On 1 April 2010 14:07, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
> Paul,
>
> I missed you talking about ipheth on IRC earlier.
>
> I've seen the submission of ipheth on the netdev mailing list, and made
> some comments on it there.  If it is accepted, we can include it in the
> Debian kernel packages and there will then be no need for ipheth-dkms.
> You'll still need ipheth-utils.  As for the udev rules, what do they do?

Hi Ben.

The udev rules detect when an iPhone has been plugged in and execute a
utility (ipheth-pair) which ensures that the iPhone is paired with the
system to which it has been attached. Ipheth-pair is a small program
written in C which makes use of libimobiledevice. Essentially
ipheth-utils provides provides only the udev rules file and
ipheth-pair utility. Ipheth-dkms provides the kernel module source
code...

So I'm guessing that ipheth-utils could be a package which is
maintained long-term once ipheth is included in the mainstream kernel,
or...

Would it be more sensible to have libimobiledevice provide a generic
pairing utility and set of udev rules which execute it when an
i<device> is attached? Possibly part of libimobiledevice-utils? This
appears to be a cleaner solution than maintaining a separate package
for the task.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

Regards,
Paul.