Re: xen kernel features

At 2010-06-30 22:53, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 20:58 +0200, Csillag Kristof wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am trying to migrate my XEN 3.2 installation to XEN 4.0, on a 64-bit
>> server.
>> The dom0 kernel is 2.6.32-5-xen-amd64.
>>
>> I have run into a few problems:
>>
>>  - The current xen-utils-4.0 does not support KVM guests, only PV.
>>     (This has nothing to with the kernel, though)
>>
> (you mean HVM)

Exactly.

> Please check the archives for pkg-xen-devel mailing list on alioth.
> Someone is working on packaging the necessary qemu-dm, I think there are
> packages available for testing too.

I think that's Thomas Goirand, and the package is available here:

http://ftparchive.gplhost.com/debian/pool/lenny/main/x/xen-qemu-dm-4.0/

However, I do not like fetching core packages from external sources,
so I guess I will just have to wait until it's packages properly.
>>  - PCI passthru to PV guests does not work, because
>> CONFIG_XEN_PCI_PASSTHROUGH is disabled in kernel config.
>>
> I think this should be trivial to enable -- does any one on
> debian-kernel object to enabling it in trunk and sid branches?

That would be great.
> Note that this functionality is only in the xen flavours and not the
> pvops based regular flavours (-amd64 and -686-bigmem).
>

>>  - USB passthru via PVUSB does not seem to work, because the required
>> PVUSB drivers are not available in the kernel.
>>
> I don't think the PVUSB front or backends have been ported to the PVops
> kernel yet,
Indeed, they are not yet ready.
>  most likely because nobody has asked for them. If you are
> interested I recommend raising it on the xen-devel mailing list, or
> better yet, sending patches to that list ;-).

If I can get PCI passthru going, then this is not necessary.

Thank you for your help:

    Kristof Csillag