Re: xen kernel features

On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 20:58 +0200, Csillag Kristof wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to migrate my XEN 3.2 installation to XEN 4.0, on a 64-bit
> server.
> The dom0 kernel is 2.6.32-5-xen-amd64.
>
> I have run into a few problems:
>
>  - The current xen-utils-4.0 does not support KVM guests, only PV.
>     (This has nothing to with the kernel, though)

(you mean HVM)

Please check the archives for pkg-xen-devel mailing list on alioth.
Someone is working on packaging the necessary qemu-dm, I think there are
packages available for testing too.

>  - PCI passthru to PV guests does not work, because
> CONFIG_XEN_PCI_PASSTHROUGH is disabled in kernel config.

I think this should be trivial to enable -- does any one on
debian-kernel object to enabling it in trunk and sid branches?

Note that this functionality is only in the xen flavours and not the
pvops based regular flavours (-amd64 and -686-bigmem).

>  - USB passthru via PVUSB does not seem to work, because the required
> PVUSB drivers are not available in the kernel.

I don't think the PVUSB front or backends have been ported to the PVops
kernel yet, most likely because nobody has asked for them. If you are
interested I recommend raising it on the xen-devel mailing list, or
better yet, sending patches to that list ;-).

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell

 Hit the monkey to win $20(*)!
* knghtbrd gets out his mallet.
* knghtbrd plants it firmly on DannyS' head.
* knghtbrd will take his $20 now.  =D