Re: Backporting HIGHPTE option patch from tip.git

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 07:33:26AM +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
> Is it acceptable to backport
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/tip/linux-2.6-tip.git;a=commitdiff;h=a73a040e3b18521f83e726abacc2f3992a148388 into the sid kernel?

Will it show up in Linus tree any time soon?

> The followup Xen patch is
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/jeremy/xen.git;a=commitdiff;h=9be6abceadd654543648b799ae430f30e09959ac
> and disables HIGHPTE when running under Xen. It prevents crashes under
> load due to HIGHPTE races which cannot be otherwise (easily) avoided
> under Xen.

The commit message does not describe why, and it is not obvious to me.

I'm not sure, but I think this should be possible to do via stable after
both patches landed where they belong.

Bastian

--
I'm a soldier, not a diplomat.  I can only tell the truth.
		-- Kirk, "Errand of Mercy", stardate 3198.9