Re: Question about my Ethernet Cards

On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 17:56 -0500, Boxuan Gu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I opened "/usr/src/linux_2_6_26/drivers/net/Kconfig", I found the
> following:
>
> config TIGON3
>        tristate "Broadcom Tigon3 support"
>        depends on BROKEN
>        depends on PCI
>
> I don't know what does "BROKEN" mean. I couldn't find where to set BROKEN.
>
> I removed "depends on BROKEN" and then executed "make menuconfig", I
> could find the option for tg3. However, during the building of the
> kernel, there were many comoiling errors for  tg3.c. I think some
> symbols in tg3.c depend on other source files.
>
> Could you please tell me why? What does "BROKEN mean" ?  How can I
> solve this problem? Thank you very much!

The "upstream" tarball for linux-2.6 is patched to remove much of the
firmware that we do not have source code for.  This causes the drivers
that included that firmware to be broken, so they are marked as such.
The Debian diff includes patches that fix most of these drivers so that
they can load firmware from separate files.  However "apt-get source"
does not apply those patches; you need to use debian/rules to do that.

It is usually easier to build your own kernel from linux-source-$VERSION
which has those patches already applied (but not patches for special
flavours like xen).