Re: Lack of overall understanding.

For so long I'm browsing web sites such as http://www.debian.org/,
http://www.kernel.org/ + LKML, and http://wiki.debian.org/ in order to
grasp the process by which Debian Kernel maintainers customize pristine
Linux kernels. So far, I haven't yet found any set of coherent
documentation pieces.

I've found the current online documentation lacking as well, so I subscribed to these lists and made my own (terse, outline-style) consolidated docs.

I did so because make-kpkg never allowed me to efficiently maintain custom
kernel builds for many architectures/configs, but the debian-kernel-team's tools do.
Plus, it lets me use rebuildd (http://julien.danjou.info/rebuildd.html) to do all the boring compiling.

I don't have any public place to post them (they're in MediaWiki format) but maybe they could get reviewed and put on alioth/wiki.d.org? Some serious fact-checking would have to take place as I'm sure the (very very busy) kernel maintainers have their own best-practices. I have not yet used these docs
from-start-to-finish as I have been writing them from piecemeal experimentation.

Is there a policy out there that decribes the
goals of Linux kernel customization bu Debian kernel maintainers?

I have seen goals stated online before, and overall, their patchset is very minimal.
It's just that we all have different patches and things to try and versions to try them with so I think it is worthwhile to make the "official maintainer process" more public for mere mortals.

joey