Re: Firmwares left

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 15:38:21 +0200, Uwe A P Würdinger
<wuerdinger@highspeed-firewall.de> said:

> One Laptop, doesn't sound like a problem a couple a hundred servers,
> yep that's a Problem.  So time to get Managemet draft a letter to
> Customers and explain 'em that all there systems get switched to
> Ubuntu cause of a driver debian doesn't feel is free enough.

        Back in the days I helped run a several hundred machine shop
 (well, university CS labs), we had out own software deployment
 system -- and used to do our own kernel compiles.  My take is that
 large shops have people competent enough to add in self compiled
 kernels, and image them through the server farm, or set up their own
 local apt repo.

        It is the people in the middle who might not be able to deal
 with it.

        manoj
--
Say "twenty-three-skiddoo" to logout.