Re: Firmwares left

Hello,

as far as the GPL and BSD licensed firmwares are concerned, the licenses
of these firmwares are compliant with the DFSG and will not be castrated
from the kernel, see the GR007/2006 discussion.

As for the rest: our priority is free software, who cares about users?

tg3: Drop. The firmware should be pruned and the driver deactivated
until someone shows up with a patch upstream accepts.

acenic: Drop. The firmware source available at http://alteon.shareable.org/
is - unlike to what was written during the firmware discussion last year
- NOT free:

~ $ head -5 tmp/acenic/src/nic/fw2/common/fwmain.c
/*
 * COPYRIGHT NOTICE
 * Copyright (c) Alteon Networks, Inc. 1996
 * All rights reserved
 */

> file: drivers/atm/pca200e.data
> file: drivers/atm/pca200e_ecd.data
> file: drivers/atm/sba200e_ecd.data
> file: drivers/char/ip2/fip_firm.h
> file: drivers/media/dvb/ttusb-budget/dvb-ttusb-dspbootcode.h
> file: drivers/net/hamradio/yam1200.h
> file: drivers/net/hamradio/yam9600.h
> file: drivers/net/myri_code.h
> file: drivers/scsi/qlogicpti_asm.c
> file: sound/pci/cs46xx/cs46xx_image.h
> file: sound/pci/cs46xx/imgs/cwc4630.h
> file: sound/pci/cs46xx/imgs/cwcasync.h
> file: sound/pci/cs46xx/imgs/cwcbinhack.h
> file: sound/pci/cs46xx/imgs/cwcdma.h
> file: sound/pci/cs46xx/imgs/cwcsnoop.h

Drop.

And for those affected by this driver carnage: I feel with you, a couple
of boxes I take care of are going to need new NICs.

Regards
Frederik Schüler

--
ENOSIG