Re: something recently got broken for 2.6.22

On Thursday 30 August 2007, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 09:44:37PM +0530, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> > So nobody had responded to my problem. Probably were busy or had never
> > seen the issue.
> Notice that this kind of information is probably better handled through
> an actual bug report instead of a mailing list post.

I had that habit to file a bug report when I found something odd. But lately I
had to change my habit. I think talking to a developer about an issue before
filing can help (some act to the email soon, some don't at all)

Sometimes it also gives a feeling that for many problems, many packagers
aren't very bothered. Probably are busy or it isn't on their priority list.

I had had the kpartx issue (if the behavior seen here is exactly the same I
got resolved for the other distrib) resolved sometime back. Either it hasn't
been  pushed or the packagers haven't pulled the latest changes.

But still, will file a bug report and hope it is resolved. As a workaround, I
removed the multipath-tools package and rebuilt my initrd images and
everything worked back. This makes me believe that it must be the same issue.

BTW, Debian's init in the initrd is very very minimal. I wonder if it can
do "root on multipath" with what it currently has.

This is something which sometimes makes me feel sad. We do only features which
are available upstream. And sometimes it even makes me drop Debian as an
option when I need to setup a box for a client.
I have had bad experiences with using Debian for a client where the e1000
driver wasn't properly patched. And it wasn't because we only stick to what
upstream commits. In a way it is good but that makes us far behind the
competitors. Fedora and Ubuntu are good at including patches which are at
times very important for a device's/feature's functionality.

And if you bring such issues, you're expected to patch on your own and fix it.
Well, I can do that but if I am ending up with doing patches and rebuilds,
what's the point of using a distribution.

I wonder if we do new technolgies within Debian too. Are there DDs working on
things like "root on multipath" or similar new features in other areas?
Or are people only bothered about syncing upstream and packaging ?

And please. I'm not cribbing. I make an effort to do things that can be done
to help improve the OS.
Debian is a great volunteer effort and some people here are great to interact
with. It is just that as a whole, you don't see a complete package.

> (Since i am banned from debian mailing lists, if you consider this mail
> legit,please consider bouncing it to the list).

This is surprising and bad news. Debian already is lacking resources who can
dedicate time to "root cause" and "feature implementations" and you say that
you've been banned.

Till now, looking at this page:
I had the assumption that you still were part of Debian Kernel Team.

Ritesh Raj Sarraf
RESEARCHUT - http://www.researchut.com
"Necessity is the mother of invention."