Re: [etch] driver updates for 2.6.18?

On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 01:34:26PM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 04:53:15PM +0200, Frederik Schueler wrote:
> > I would like to update a few drivers in 2.6.18 for the next point
> > release of etch:
>
> I have a large update for xen. It is taken from the 3.1 branch, which
> seems to work fine with the xen in etch (better than the released
> version from Fedora). The summary of the functional changes is
> | 244 files changed, 11100 insertions(+), 6047 deletions(-)
> The complete one
> | 351 files changed, 18610 insertions(+), 7485 deletions(-)
> Most of the changes are different ways of porting the same functionalty
> to the version.
>
> The following problems should be fixed:
> - Event channel code is oopsy on smp systems.
> - PCI backend is broken.
> - Network backend looses all running connections after some months (this
>   may be also a hypervisor problem).
> - Incorrect license specifications in the xen headers.

Each of those sounds like a reasonable thing to fix in a point
release, but such a large change does not. I don't see how we can
demonstrate confidence that such a change will not cause regressions.

For 2.6.18, I'd prefer to see a bug/fix per issue with some
explanation about why the bug is >= important severity and why the fix
is unlikely to cause regressions.

--
dann frazier