How do I build a XEN kernel with make-kpkg

Hi there,

let me start describing my problem:
- Hardware is Dual Xeon workstation with 16 GB RAM
- I run Debian/testing on it
- The machine acts as a small laboratory server for testing purposes
- One goal is to run XEN on it and to use paravirtualized guests like
  e.g. RHEL4 so that I can use the RHEL4 hwtest-server (for hardware
  certification issues) in a "native" enivornment.

Starting from that point I installed the XEN hypervisor and the
linux-image-2.6.18-3-xen-686 image. That gave me the first problem:
In this setup I can only use 4 GB of the 16 GB my machine has, so
this is not satisfying.

Next try: Reading the package descriptions I found the xen hpyervisor
is also available as a PAE enabled package for machines that have more
than 4 GB of RAM. I installed that and ran into the next problem:

The hpyervisor starts, but then I get a "PAE mode mismatch error
(xen=yes dom0=no) and the system reboots. Ok, I've learned from this
that it would be better to have a PAE enabled XEN kernel, but since
there are no packages out there I need to do it my own.

Next try: Reading the chapter in the book of Martin Krafft about
building Debian kernels with make-kpkg. Trying that out, by getting
the linux-source package for 2.6.18, copying the config from the xen
kernel, enabling 64 GB support and building the kernel. No, this one
doesn't boot with the hypervisor since its not XEN enabled.

Ok. Next try. Finding some sort of HowTos on the net, one describing
that I need the XEN source package that applies patches to the kernel
and then compile it. Whatever I do with 2.6.18 the kernel build process
exits with errors that show me that something is very wrong in the
kernel source tree.

So I'm stuck, but I wonder: There IS a package linux-image-2.6.18-3-xen-686
so it SHOULD be possible to build such an image. But HOW can I do that?
Is there any sort of "magic spell" that I have to say before building
it or am I just missing an important point?

On the other hand: I think there is really a need for PAE enabled
XEN kernels since every guest kernel you can download at XenSource or
whatever you get on installation media from SUSE or Red Hat ships with
PAE enabled kernels. Even trying to install a Fedora Core system by
using the defaults from xenman fails with a strange error -22 that
(after some usage of Google) seems to be caused by the attempt to
use a PAE enabled domU on a non-PAE dom0. With that restrictions using
XEN on Debian is everything else but fun.

Best regards, a happy new year and TIA for all the hints
Rainer
--
Dipl.-Inf. (FH) Rainer Koenig, Augsbur, Germany