Re: G5 fan control and official debian kernels.

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 10:03:04 +0200 maximilian attems wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 09:47:32AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 09:17:49AM +0200, maximilian attems wrote:

> > > did you check it they get loaded by the initramfs?
> > > please tell which fan and i2c modules need to be added for ppc?
> >
> > No, it is a bug in the kernel, and even loading them by hand
> > doesn't help.
> >
> > I do have the module in /etc/modules for the above attempt.
>
> that does not put them in the initramfs,
> use /etc/initramfs-tools/modules for that.

Sven: Did you check with lsmod that they were in fact loaded (and no
other related modules was)?

Perhaps use yaird for debugging this, to make sure the least possible
is loaded at all.

> > Oh, and BTW, initramfs-tools generated ramdisks attempt to load the
> > atkbd/i8042 modules on hardware not having any ps2 support. Can
> > anything be done about it.
>
> ppc builds those modular, which makes debuggig an initramfs a pain.
> we already had an lengthy discussion about that 1/2 year ago.
> as you like to keep them modular i need to load them or
> the user might not be able to do anithing in the rescue shell.
>
> how about fixing those drivers?!

AFAIR this one was not about broken drivers, but working fine when
loaded as modules, and seldom of any use on that architecture, so left
out to save space in the kernel. Building drivers modular is all (or
mostly) about saving space at runtime, isn't it?

 - Jonas