Re: G5 fan control and official debian kernels.

On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 09:17:49AM +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
> hello svenl,
>
> On Sun, 25 Jun 2006, Sven Luther wrote:
>
> > I have been experimenting with 2.6.16 and 2.6.17 and builtin or modular
> > THERM_PM72 on my XServer G5.
> >
> > The result is as follows :
> >
> >   2.6.16 + modular fan control -> airplan noise level.
> >   2.6.17 + modular fan control -> still noisy, but orders of magnitude lower.
> >   2.6.17 + builtin fan control -> noisy, but acceptable noise level.
>
> did you check it they get loaded by the initramfs?
> please tell which fan and i2c modules need to be added for ppc?

No, it is a bug in the kernel, and even loading them by hand doesn't help.

I do have the module in /etc/modules for the above attempt.

> we currently do in scripts/init-premount/thermal
> case "$DPKG_ARCH" in
> # load the right modules
> powerpc|ppc64)
>         modprobe -q i2c-keywest
> 	modprobe -q therm_pm72
> 	;;

Indeed. There are the winfarm ones too.

> > So, i believe that the choice for the debian kernel is to have builtin both
> > the I2C_POWERMAC and the THERM_PM72 modules.
> >
> > Of the other therm control modules, we have :
> >
> >   CONFIG_WINDFARM
> >   CONFIG_WINDFARM_PM81
> >   CONFIG_WINDFARM_PM91
> >   CONFIG_WINDFARM_PM112
> >
> > I suppose they also will all benefit from being builtin, right ?
>
> afaik ubuntu has those modular too,
> please check if loading them real early helps!?

i don't have the hardware for thos,e which is why i wrote this one. It seems
common knowledge that they need to be builtin for now though.

> non-modular may need db-measurement arg :)

not necessarily, but i admit i am not all that knowledgeable about this.

Oh, and BTW, initramfs-tools generated ramdisks attempt to load the
atkbd/i8042 modules on hardware not having any ps2 support. Can anything be
done about it.