Re: G5 fan control and official debian kernels.

hello svenl,

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006, Sven Luther wrote:

> I have been experimenting with 2.6.16 and 2.6.17 and builtin or modular
> THERM_PM72 on my XServer G5.
>
> The result is as follows :
>
>   2.6.16 + modular fan control -> airplan noise level.
>   2.6.17 + modular fan control -> still noisy, but orders of magnitude lower.
>   2.6.17 + builtin fan control -> noisy, but acceptable noise level.

did you check it they get loaded by the initramfs?
please tell which fan and i2c modules need to be added for ppc?

we currently do in scripts/init-premount/thermal
case "$DPKG_ARCH" in
# load the right modules
powerpc|ppc64)
        modprobe -q i2c-keywest
	modprobe -q therm_pm72
	;;

> So, i believe that the choice for the debian kernel is to have builtin both
> the I2C_POWERMAC and the THERM_PM72 modules.
>
> Of the other therm control modules, we have :
>
>   CONFIG_WINDFARM
>   CONFIG_WINDFARM_PM81
>   CONFIG_WINDFARM_PM91
>   CONFIG_WINDFARM_PM112
>
> I suppose they also will all benefit from being builtin, right ?

afaik ubuntu has those modular too,
please check if loading them real early helps!?
non-modular may need db-measurement arg :)

best regards

--
maks