Re: ABI handling for linux-2.6

On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 01:28:59AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Bastian Blank <waldi@debian.org> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 11:37:38PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> >> An abi change in the kernel is exactly the same as an abi change in
> >> say mozilla. When the abi changes all modules/plugins have to be
> >> recompiled. Same thing.
> >
> > Incorrect. They need a bump also. Rebuilds because of library changes
> > mostly need none.
>
> Ok, not all the time. Library changes can propagate through a series
> of libs though creating a series of name changes. Just like with the
> kernel, just not so regular.

The point is that library change can have far-ranging effect in the archive,
while the kernel abi change has a limited impact. It affects only the kernel
itself, the out of tree modules, and the installer.

Two out of three are under the kernel team control, while the third is not
something which will be impacted by the automated NEW or not.

Now the question is, imagine a case where the ftp-masters will reject a
package needing NEW. I mean, if they always accept NEW packages, this means
that there is really no need of human NEW processing.

So, can you give me a valid scenario where an ftp-master would reject a
linux-2.6 upload which needs NEW.