Re: ABI handling for linux-2.6

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 11:47:58PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Bastian Blank <waldi@debian.org> writes:
> > Not possible. Only some of the arches are autobuilt for experimental.
> Is that so important? Maybe you should lobby for more experimental
> buildds then?

We already tend to overload the whole autobuilder network and if some of
the arches are missing, we don't get anything.

> (Too bad that only work for the first of each release and not
> subreleases with abi changes.)

So it gives use nothing except for the first upload.

> > This can be only done by a source package which builds any binary
> > package which needs to go in with the next bump at once as arch-all.
> > This will break at least two records:
> > - The number of binary packets per source. (We need to provide the
> >   binaries for the module packages too.)
> > - The number of packets per upload.
> You could build a dummy package that is all arch:all and build all the
> packages of the real upload. The number of packages would be huge but
> total size minimal.

Thats what I said. We break the records of both binary packages and
changes size. I don't want to know what will choke.

> But then again how is that different from asking ftp-master to add
> overrides for the kernel in advance? Just send them a mail with all
> the package names for the next abi change and next new version in
> advance. Sometimes there won't be a next abi before a new version but
> it isn't that much work to add an override, is it?

Please read _all_ mails. Not possible.

Bastian

--
A Vulcan can no sooner be disloyal than he can exist without breathing.
		-- Kirk, "The Menagerie", stardate 3012.4