Re: [PROPOSAL] Final consensual proposal for the problematic firmware issue in the linux kernel sources.

On Sun, Oct 15, 2006 at 07:21:49PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 02:03:59 +0200, Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> said:
>
> > On Sun, Oct 15, 2006 at 04:05:57PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >> Can you spell out for us which kernel modules, in the opinion of
> >> the kernel team, are certainly sourceless GPL stuff? Please make
> >> sure you have the official opinion of the kernel team, and that you
> >> are saying that these modules do contain sourceless GPL'd material.
>
> > The complete list at :
>
> > http://wiki.debian.org/KernelFirmwareLicensing?action=show#head-93ba883132bc3ebc09131100ec6bb6fbfb5e3e61
>
> > Include code which Larry stated where unlikely to be the actual form
> > of modification. I think he even said something along the lines of
> > "no sane coder would write such directly in hex".
>
> > There are some which are big enough that it would not be practical
> > to write them directly in hex, so there is little doubt about the
> > outcome.
>
>         Folks, if this is indeed the official opinion of the kernel
>  team (since that is what was solicited, then regardless of any GR, we
>  need to remove every thing mentioned by Sven from the kernel
>  immediately, since we are not allowed to distribute them.

This is my own opinion this time, and i specifically said that others of the
kernel team should give an official statement.

>         Given this official statement, I also suggest that the GR
>  proposal is moot, since the proposer himself believes that the kernel
>  modules in question can not be distributed by Debian legally.
>
>         I appreciate there not being any more GR's on this subject :),
>  since now we have to remove these modules, as per  the official
>  kernel team position.

Ah, so now you want to censor an already seconded GR ? And your word on what
needs removing has more weight that what the project decides in a GR ?