Re: [PROPOSAL] Final consensual proposal for the problematic firmware issue in the linux kernel sources.

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 17:16:04 +0200, Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> said:

> On Sun, Oct 15, 2006 at 08:42:41AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 10:17:56 +0200, Sven Luther
>> <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> said:

>> > Well, it :
>>
>> >   1. allows for releasing firmware binaries under the GPL lacking
>> >      propper sources.
>>
>> Wrong.  It only allows us to distribute drivers that upstream is
>> implying we have sources for -- and we have no proof that the
>> sources are not in the preferred form of modification.  Guessing
>> that the preferred form of modification is not proof.

> Well, we all know it is sourceless GPLed firmware, and we chose just
> to say the contrary, because it is convenient to us. IANAL, so i
> couldn't say if this is indeed a proper defense in court if we get
> sued, but i guess that it may be problematic. But then on the
> otherhand, i suppose the risk of getting sued is as negligible as
> the risk of getting sued over the other firmwares which are
> non-distributable.

        Can you spell out for us which kernel modules, in the opinion
 of the kernel team, are certainly sourceless GPL stuff? Please make
 sure you have the official opinion of the kernel team, and that you
 are saying that these modules do contain sourceless GPL'd material.

        Thank you,

        manoj
--
Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after.