Re: removing 2.4 from etch/sid

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 03:31:06PM -0500, dann frazier wrote:
> On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 11:57:51AM +0200, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> > * dann frazier <dannf@debian.org> [2006-05-16 17:04]:
> > > I believe there's a rough consensus to not ship 2.4 in etch.  Anyone
> > > object to a filing of bugs to remove these packages from etch?
> >
> > For mips/mipsel, there's at least one sub-arch that is not in 2.6 yet.
> > It's getting close though, but in the meantime I'd like to keep 2.4.
> >
> > For arm, I've recently removed the last bits of 2.4 from d-i and I was
> > going to request the removal after the next d-i beta.
> >
> > In general, imho 2.4 should be removed from d-i first for each arch,
> > and then after the next beta the 2.4 kernel images can be removed.  We
> > can start with the removal of 2.4 from those architectures which no
> > longer use 2.4 at all (e.g. powerpc).

Notice that powerpc/pmac/nubus is not yet ported to 2.6, we had a (largely
untested though) 2.4.27 nubus kernel in sarge.

> This makes sense to me; maybe we should create a hitlist of 2.4 stuff
> that needs to be removed before etch, and remove all the bits that
> don't break d-i now, something like:
>   http://wiki.debian.org/DebianKernel2%2e4EtchHitList

Maybe more interesting would be a list of all those arches and subarches who
still have problems with 2.6, and a list of issues, so people with interest to
work on them, can help out.

This could also be doubled in a list of issues which are debian specific
patches also, and not yet merged upstream, with some kind of plan or eta or
whatever for such a merge.