Re: which kernel version for etch?

On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 01:31:30PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 09:40:37AM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 05:00:03PM -0600, dann frazier wrote:
> > > I don't know what Bastian was intending; but the scenario I mentioned
> > > was to:
> > >   1) Upload linux-2.6.16 to sid w/o metapackages
> > >   2) Let linux-2.6.16 migrate to sid
> >    3) Upload linux-latest-2.6 via t-p-u
> >
> > > Either way, yes.  We should remove linux-2.6 from testing once
> > > linux-2.6.16 enters.
> >
> > Bastian
>
> I am not sure i like this, this means we separate the metapackages out of the
> common package again. Is this a good thing ? We made the inverse step earlier.

Yes, I'd rather see us keep the metapackages bundled in linux-2.6.16.
The fewer packages that have to be updated for a security update, the
better.

Of course, I do see the benefit to Bastian's suggestion - we'd have
working metapackages for both sid & etch that pull in the latest
available in that dist.  My proposal leaves sid meta packages pointing
at the latest kernel for etch.

At minimum I want to make sure linux-latest-2.6 is a single source
packages - not per-arch.  Building all of these packages for sarge
abi-changing updates sucks.

--
dann frazier