Re: which kernel version for etch?

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 10:36:10PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 01:39:23PM -0600, dann frazier wrote:

> > > Well, this means thought that they will no more be built with linux-2.6, right
> > > ?
> > >
> > > Why do you need to involve t-p-u, the current version in testing points to the
> > > linux-2.6 2.6.16-<something> which is compatible with the new packages. We
> > > just upload linux-2.6.16 to unstable and linux-2.6 without the metapackages,
> > > and they should migrate to testing normally or with an RM hint at the right
> > > moment, no ?
> >
> > The problem Bastian maybe seeing is that we cannot have the same binary
> > package (e.g., linux-image-2.6-686) provided by two different source
> > packages in a single dist.
> >
> > So, we'd need to remove them from linux-2.6.16 till linux-2.6.16 hits testing,
> > drop linux-2.6.16 from sid, then re-add via t-p-u.
>
> Euh, ok, but i was thinking of uploading a new linux-2.6 package without those
> metapackages to unstable, and then upload linux-2.6.16 to unstable with them.

Sounds like that would work, but sid users would be stuck on 2.6.16
for automatic upgrades until etch ships in that scenario - which is
what we did in sarge, and seemed to work ok.  That way we could
continue to pump in 2.6.16 kernels via sid instead of using t-p-u and
losing potential testing.

> When the migration happens, the metapackages in testing which where previously
> owned by linux-2.6, will now become owned by linux-2.6.16. This will cause
> problem, but a proper hint by the RMs should probably solve the issue.
>
> I think i understand now, Bastian was intenting to upload linux-2.6 to
> testing-proposed-updates without the metapackages ?

I don't know what Bastian was intending; but the scenario I mentioned
was to:
  1) Upload linux-2.6.16 to sid w/o metapackages
  2) Let linux-2.6.16 migrate to sid
  3) Drop linux-2.6.16 from sid, leave it only in etch
  4) Update linux-2.6.16 in etch w/ metapackage support
  5) Maintain linux-2.6.16 via t-p-u

I prefer not to do that though; I'd rather see us leave linux-2.6.16 in sid
with metapackages and drop the metapackages from linux-2.6 until etch
releases.  That way we get pre-etch user testing and can have more
direct control over the testing migration.

> I guess at that point, we should simply remove the linux-2.6 package from
> testing.

Either way, yes.  We should remove linux-2.6 from testing once
linux-2.6.16 enters.

--
dann frazier