Re: which kernel version for etch?

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 07:46:12AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > - branch the current linux-2.6 package into a new source package, say
> >   linux-2.6.16, tracking 2.6.16.x releases
> Sounds the right thing to do for me. We keep linux-2.6 as trunk package, and
> can branch off any number of kernel we want to have around long term, and mark
> it as linux-2.6.<x>. Problem is with the metapackages, where will they come
> from ? Bastian, can you comment on this ?

Currently they are built from linux-2.6. This needs to be changed for
such a package. And after that, they need to be reintroduced through
t-p-u.

> I hearthily vote for this, and my effort to produce the .udebs from the common
> kernel and get a solution for the out-of-tree modules where designed to allow
> this easily enough, even in case of abi-changes. Support for those ideas have
> been tentative at best, especially in the light of the extreme flamming i got
> from the d-i folk about this.

Just provide them and either they want them (at least for s390, I do)
or they don't.
For the out-of-tree modules, we will see it in the next days, if it
works. I think this should be done in at most 4 days. If it does not
work, we have to take down the law and build them ourself.

> We would also need to get some policy fixed about what happens to user
> self-compiled modules in that case.

Either the ABI is compatible or not.

Bastian

--
You!  What PLANET is this!
		-- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0