Re: Normal users can't build modules against kernel headers?

Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 15:45:46 +0100
> Bas van Schaik <bas@tuxes.nl> wrote:
>

>>>That sounds like you try to build within /usr/src itself, rather than
>>>just referring to that location for kernel headers and do the actual
>>>build somewhere else.
>>>

>>Hmmm... I don't think that's very likely, since the module did build
>>on the 2.6.8 sarge kernel without any permission problems.
>

> Lots of cleanup has been done since 2.6.8, so probably some broken ways
> of building back then is no longer supported.

OK, thanks for the info!

> Especially many upstream module sources wrongly assume 'uname -r' is
> sane to use. That's only the case if you are compiling the module for
> same kernel as you are currently running - which would cause build
> daemons to need to reboot each time modules should be built for a
> different kernel version.

I agree with you, but even if this is the case with this package, it
should build when the running kernel is the same version as the to-build
module.

> So please do read http://wiki.debian.org/KernelModulesPackaging or the
> kernel handbook (packaged as linux-manual, I believe).

I'll certainly do!

>>>Perhaps looking at existing kernel modules packaged for Debian?
>>>

>>Maybe a good idea, but since the module did build before (using the
>>upstream makefile), I thought it would be better to get the module to
>>compile first, before trying to package it.
>

> Still, recent official Debian kernels have made life harder for those
> wrong assumptions above. So you might actually make life harder on
> yourself by trying to simplify it :-)

OK!

However, the upstream developer tried a vanilla kernel 2.6.15, on which
the module builds without any errors! So even after al the cleanup since
2.6.8, the module builds on a vanilla 2.6.15. The u.d. debugged some
more (since I didn't have the time for it), and figured out that "make
scripts" creates the missing "MARKER"-file. Can you explain to me what
this command execution does exactly to the kernel sources/headers, and
why it isn't done in Debian? This might solve my problem.

Regards,

-- Bas