Re: Normal users can't build modules against kernel headers?

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 15:45:46 +0100
Bas van Schaik <bas@tuxes.nl> wrote:

> >That sounds like you try to build within /usr/src itself, rather than
> >just referring to that location for kernel headers and do the actual
> >build somewhere else.
> >

> Hmmm... I don't think that's very likely, since the module did build
> on the 2.6.8 sarge kernel without any permission problems.

Lots of cleanup has been done since 2.6.8, so probably some broken ways
of building back then is no longer supported.

Especially many upstream module sources wrongly assume 'uname -r' is
sane to use. That's only the case if you are compiling the module for
same kernel as you are currently running - which would cause build
daemons to need to reboot each time modules should be built for a
different kernel version.

So please do read http://wiki.debian.org/KernelModulesPackaging or the
kernel handbook (packaged as linux-manual, I believe).

> >Perhaps looking at existing kernel modules packaged for Debian?
> >

> Maybe a good idea, but since the module did build before (using the
> upstream makefile), I thought it would be better to get the module to
> compile first, before trying to package it.

Still, recent official Debian kernels have made life harder for those
wrong assumptions above. So you might actually make life harder on
yourself by trying to simplify it :-)

 - Jonas