Re: Normal users can't build modules against kernel headers?

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 16:00:43 +0100
Bas van Schaik <bas@tuxes.nl> wrote:

> Currently, I'm trying to package enbd (Enhanced Network Block Device)
> for Debian. This also includes building a module against the kernel
> headers for the client-side of the block device. Building the module
> on the current sarge kernels succeeds without any problems, however,
> on the current unstable kernels the kernel module fails to build. The
> relevant error messages occuring during the build process:
>
> > make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp'
> > make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.15-1-686'
> >   SPLIT   include/linux/autoconf.h -> include/config/*
> > touch: cannot touch `include/config/MARKER': Permission denied
> > make[2]: *** [include/config/MARKER] Error 1
> > make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.15-1-686'

That sounds like you try to build within /usr/src itself, rather than
just referring to that location for kernel headers and do the actual
build somewhere else.

Perhaps http://wiki.debian.org/KernelModulesPackaging or the kernel
handbook is useful?

Perhaps looking at existing kernel modules packaged for Debian?

 - Jonas