Re: irc meeting regarding kernel status d-i RC3

Quoting Matthew Wilcox (matthew@wil.cx):
> On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 07:43:36AM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > So, please please please, people who will attend this meeting, only
> > focus on that one topic and have all your discussions driven by it and
> > only it.
>
> Unfortunately, your comments seemed to get held up in your mailsystem,
> so didn't arrive until the meeting had concluded:

>         by kheops.perrier.eu.org (Postfix) with ESMTP
>         id 3F9EB4FA94; Wed,  2 Feb 2005 20:33:58 +0100 (CET)

Indeed, they were held up on my laptop as I wrote them in the morning
train to the Debian booth in SL expo here....

I imagined I would hook up my laptop at some time but, well, I entered
the booth at 8am and left at 6pm spending all the time there talking
about Debian...:-)

Anyway, after reading the meeting logs (congrats to Steve for handling
it well and to all participants for their useful comments), I better
understand the issues there (and I will certainly reconsider my choice
of XFS on a 2.6 sarge system for a mission critical server I recently
installed).

As I wrote just after in #debian-boot : good luck to Joey for making
the Right Decision. I indeed have no idea if there's even a Right
Decision.

The impression is still the same : the one and only concern of our
users are about sarge release, which is obvious to everyone now. I
should add that I personnally have felt an important difference in the
attitude of users towards Debian : recent incertainties about the
future of commercial distros makes them *very* seriously considering
using Debian very widely, not speaking about those who are already
doing so.

SW vendors being to raise some interest in supporting Debian, as well.

All this is currently suspended to one very thing : will we release or
not?

So, from my POV, maybe at the price of leaving some parts (arches?
features?) behind us, we need to release. And, maybe make a very
special exception for kernel updates, keeping us a chance to make an
update to sarge with newer kernels (heretic proposal?).