Re: irc meeting regarding kernel status d-i RC3

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:12:06 +0100, maximilian attems wrote:

> the kernel team asks for an irc meeting regarding
> the chosen kernel for the sarge release.
> the meeting is scheduled for Wednesday 02. Feb 18h UT.
>
> if that time is very inconvenient for you please speak up,
> Friday 04. Feb 18h UT would also be possible,
> but Wednesday would be preferred.
>
> arch Maintainer please attend, to have your opinion voiced.
> joey seems needed as representative of the fine d-i folks.
>
> Current scheduled 2.6.8 kernel for d-i sarge is 1/2 year old,
> and has may open issues (just naming a few: nfs exports,
> direct I/O, acpi troubles for newer intel boards, ..)
>
> looking forward to meet you on #debian-kernel.

Given that people might be unavailable, and discussion will probably end
up spilling onto the lists anyways (someone posts the log, other people
who missed it respond or bring up certain points..), I'd recommend just
discussing it on a list.  Regardless, I'll be there tomorrow.

My main concern for 2.6.8 is acpi issues that cause it to not even boot in
many places without disabling it.  Since we're
probably going to have to bump the ABINAME again for i386 (and possibly
others?) to disable PREEMPT, I'm a fan of switching to 2.6.10.  I've also
got more free time now, so I can concentrate on fix backports from bk; it
makes more sense to grab them for 2.6.10 (there's been about 2000-3000 bk
commits since 2.6.10 was released, versus the 10000 or so that've been
committed since 2.6.8.  I have free time, but I don't have *that* much
free time..)