Re: irc meeting regarding kernel status d-i RC3

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 14:55 -0500, Andres Salomon wrote:
> Given that people might be unavailable, and discussion will probably end
> up spilling onto the lists anyways (someone posts the log, other people
> who missed it respond or bring up certain points..), I'd recommend just
> discussing it on a list.  Regardless, I'll be there tomorrow.

The only significant 2.6.10/ia64 change I'm aware of wrt d-i is a change
in console detection.

Details are here:
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/kernel/trunk/kernel/ia64/kernel-image-2.6.10-ia64-2.6.10/debian/NEWS.Debian?op=file&rev=0&sc=0

In short, code has been added to be smarter about detecting the console
used by firmware.

The good news:  Right now we have an ELILO boot entry for each of a
number of possible serial console settings, all assuming ttyS0.  With
console autodetection, we should be able to get away with dropping most
of them.  Assuming only one console path is configured in fw, the kernel
will do the right thing - setting itself up to use the right serial port
& baud rate.

The bad news: Serial ports on various systems got renamed - if
autodetection won't work, users will still need to pass console=, and
this could potentially be a different tty between 2.4 & 2.6.

Should we switch to 2.6.10, I'll see that this information is added to
the sarge installation manual and/or release notes.