Re: Compiling Vanilla 2.4.22 Kernel Help Needed

tis 2005-01-04 klockan 21:09 -0500 skrev PHANI ARAVA:
> I have Installed Debian Sarge on to the systems of our research lab
> I have to implement a patch onto 2.4.22 kernel (vanilla) I patched it
> and compiled the kernel the deb way (Forgot to tell u that i have copied
> the config file that came with Sarge). I installed the kernel and reboot the system ..
> I get this following error
> RAMDISK: cramfs filesystem found at block 0
> RAMDISK: loading 3276 blocks [1 disk] into ram disk... done.
> Freeing initrd memory: 3276k freed
> cramfs: wrong magic
> Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to miunt root fs on 22:02

Debian kernels have a patch to the ramdisk code applied that is
not included in vanilla 2.4. You will need to have that if you
want to use the Debian initrd, simplest approach is to just not
use an initrd - build everything you need to boot into the kernel.

 /Jocke