Compiling Vanilla 2.4.22 Kernel Help Needed

Hi,

Iam having a big and strange problem

I have Installed Debian Sarge on to the systems of our research lab
I have to implement a patch onto 2.4.22 kernel (vannila) I patched it and compiled the kernel the deb way (Forgot to tell u that i have copied the config file that came with Sarge). I installed the kernel and reboot the system ..

I get this following error

RAMDISK: cramfs filesystem found at block 0
RAMDISK: loading 3276 blocks [1 disk] into ram disk... done.
Freeing initrd memory: 3276k freed
cramfs: wrong magic
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to miunt root fs on 22:02

Can somebody tell me where exactly iam going wrong
And well iam using lilo for another wierd reason..

Regards

Phani Kumar Arava
Grad Student                                             1560 Worthington Street
Columbus Ohio 43201

Contact: (614)-291-8950
mailto: arava.3@osu.edu,phani.arava@gmail.com, arava_phani@yahoo.com