LFS Install

Hi there,
    So I've been reading through the LFS-6.0 book and following along. I know this isn't a totally Debian specific post, but I'm using Debian as my host system and am an avid Debian user. My questions are pretty much open to any distro though, since they refer to the kernel in general. I'm actually on my third try, because on the first two I screwed up a couple of times on small things that messed up the whole build. This time I actually got all the way through without any errors or issues, hey third time is a charm, right? However, I counted this as a success too soon, because I get a kernel panic when I reboot. I used Debian Sarge as my host system and 2.6.8.1 as the build kernel on both the host and destination system. Basically I have my menu.lst for grub set to:

title        LFS-6.0
root        (hd0,3)
kernel     /boot/lfskernel-2.6.8.1 root=/dev/hda4
boot

it goes through the initial steps of booting, but then when it comes time for VFS to mount the root fs it fails saying: "Kernel Panic: VFS cannot mount root fs unknown on (3,4)" or something to that extent. If I try booting up with just kernel  /boot/lfskernel-2.6.8.1 and no "root=/dev/hda4" it fails similarly saying that I must specify a valid "root=" option. I tried creating an initrd image from my host system by copying the /etc/mkinitrd/mkinitrd.conf and /usr/sbin/mkinitrd file to my lfs partition, chrooting and then running it...and that seemed to do a little bit. With this it actually mounts the root fs as cramfs and gets a little further and then dies with another kernel panic. This time it says something about unable to load dev/console even though my lfs partition has /dev/console, and then says something tried to kill init. At first I thought the whole root= problem was something to do with the fact that my lfs partition is ext3 and I had ext2 built into the kernel, and ext3 as a module...but then I fixed this so both ext2 & ext3 were built in. So if someone out there could help me out it would be really awesome.

Thanks,

Casey