Re: Classification scheme for 2.6 kernel patches

Marc Haber wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 07:40:06PM +0100, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> > I think the effort to do so is better invested elsewhere. As a
> > general rule, the kernel team strives to keep the debian-specific
> > patches to a minimum. For people without in-depth kernel knowledge
> > it's probably best to take the full set of patches and add their
> > own (feature- ?) patches on top.
>
> Actually, the kernel of my dreams is more near to the vanilla
> kernel.org kernel, so I'd like to be able to throw out patches that
> you need to apply because of your _much_ broader user base.

Well, then you need detailed knowledge about those patches in any case.
(If you know you don't use that code, why bother? The patch won't make
a difference for you.)

http://www.acm.rpi.edu/~dilinger/

> It is adviseable to take a snapshot from the Debian kernel svn?

You can use the appopriate SVN tag as well if you like.

> And, without trolling, I'd like to build my local kernels from sources
> that haven't had drivers removed because of non-free licenses.

Disable the purge script in the kernel-source source package.

Thiemo