Re: more current kernels for sarge in volatile?

On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 12:56:26AM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> maks@sternwelten.at wrote:
>
> >2.6.15 should work with older udev.
> Not really. udev versions older than 072 do not support the new nested
> classes used by the input subsystem in kernels >= 2.6.15.
> The effect is that device nodes in /dev/input/ will not be created, and
> the respective drivers will not be loaded. (The upstream and kernel
> maintainers agree that this had to be done, and say that it will not
> happen again...)
>
> Also, udev versions older than 059 have some bugs which break
> referencing sysfs attributes since kernel 2.6.12 (this was not supposed
> to happen, but bugs are bugs...).
>
> (This is tersely documented in README.Debian, BTW.)

Ok, so we can upload/backport udev 072 to volatile, and use it with the new
kernel, without fearing future breakage ?

Alternatively, can we backport those fixes to a sarge package, so we are able
to use only a slightly modified sarge udev ? This would make sense for current
sarge users who want to use self-compiled 2.6.15+ kernels also.