more current kernels for sarge in volatile?

Hi,

at the time where sarge was released, the question was raised multiple
times whether we can put newer kernels into volatile. As it is now about
halfways between release of sarge and release of etch, it is time to
reconsider whether to put an newer kernel into volatile or not.

Reasons to add a newer kernel version are AFAIUI better hardware support
(especially things like SATA), and lots of smaller issues.

There are of course good reasons against also: Compatibility with programs
in sarge (think e.g. about udev), more work in case of security updates
etc. And, I don't want to support more than one kernel version per major
version in volatile, so if we decide to go with a specific 2.6-version, I
want to stick with that. About the minor version - I don't have any real
opinion which one to take. Also, of course I would like to take the version
that the maintainers (i.e. you) want to have.

Any comments, additions, cluebats for me?

I summarized my current understanding on
http://wiki.debian.org/Volatile/SargeKernel - please feel free to change
anything that's wrong or misleading, and to add more reasons. Of course,
the main discussion medium should continue to be mail, the wiki is more for
summarizing things up.

Cheers,
Andi
--